Thursday, September 1, 2016

Day 1 our Arrival to New Orleans





Let me start with a simple disclaimer...the opinions to come are mine, and only mine. I speak for nobody but myself, and I am highly opinionated. :o)



My husband and I planned our vacation with our good friends whom we met in 2014 on our first cruise. Our 26 year old daughter and her boyfriend then also booked...I then named our vacation


"party of six"

Our itinerary

New Orleans August 18-21
Carnival Dream August 21-28
Kenner LA August 28-29



 My one and only concern with our planned trip was....

NEW ORLEANS....in... late AUGUST. 
I dreaded the humidity, not knowing even what to expect. I live with MS (multiple sclerosis), and heat is pretty hard on me, but it's better than the cold. Cold is absolutely painful. I never imagined this trip I would experience both extremes. I knew the ship would be cold, and why I packed sweats and sweaters. Thankfully!


We arrived to LAX on time, even though we had to drive WAY out of the way to bypass our main freeway that was closed due to the massive wildfire, (The Blue Cut Fire) burning pretty much or backyard. (yes, we LEFT a state of emergency-fires- to GO TO a state of emergency -floods-) our 90 mile drive took about 3.5 hours. Our flight on Delta..was amazing..it was an empty flight, and there were no more than 2 people per row, and some even vacant. You can imagine my delight...with MS the tightness sets in very fast, and sitting confined for any length of period becomes painful beyond painful. I was able to stretch out and use two seats while my amazing husband just stayed in his window seat.






The aircraft was new, very flyer friendly, equipped with personal TVs , free in-flight wifi...NICE, and many tv shows and movies to choose from. I watched Finding Nemo, and enjoyed the 4 hour flight. The anxiety of the unknown was settled in my stomach, the weather for New Orleans was reading
88* FEELS LIKE 116*
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT...
I couldn't even comprehend a 30 degree difference for the life of me...where I come from actual and feels like is usually the same give or take a degree or two....I feared the UNKNOWN.


We touched down...my anxiety rose quickly to a new level as I went to see what the humidity was all about. I had to just TAKE IT IN....and get it over with. Like diving into a cold pool...just get in!
Got to the doors to the outside as quickly as I could....

That humidity....It hit like a brick wall, and HARD. Let's clarify, I live in California, but above that I live in the DESERT of California...I come from heat that is hot like an oven set to 450*.
 EXTREMELY HOT...DRY...and yes, miserable.
 This took my breath away, I immediately felt the thick layer of lotion I had put on in the morning turn into a glob of goo. My phone was even fogged over. Holy Heck...Louisiana in late August...was all I dreaded it to be....and more. I still am at a loss of words to properly describe the misery my body was shocked into. Just sticky, tacky, like a layer of the ozone was just resting on every part of my body, and being held in place by the intense moisture ....HOT, sticky moisture. Miserable to a whole new degree....CLEARLY!
 I needed a shower, and would have settled for about 4 showers before the end of the first night.



  We, with our party of 6 had rented a vacation home. In the end it was cheaper to share a home than3 hotel rooms for the 3 nights. The owner described it as "historical". I had done some research, and google maps had let me know...historical was used as a code word....I just didn't know the CODE before we booked. LOL.

Dave and I rented a car, (owner had said everything was within walking distance, but with my not knowing how my body would react to humidity, we played it safe, so shopping and sightseeing could be done without me having to stay behind because I couldn't handle the weather...a just in case...OMG, thank God for that just in case thought)...we began to drive to the house....looking from the freeway, I expected what I saw near the downtown area, every downtown city looks like that...no worries. I was taking in all I could, I will say the size of the SUPERDOME was a letdown...it was much smaller than I had imagined, but it was very pretty when lit up. But, really nothing special....I anticipated a massive structure.
Our exit was finally here...and hmmm, surely it will get better, right? Surely we just need to get to the other side of town. It got worse....and even more worse...David and I are saying to each other many times...this can't be it. Thanking God every street for the car we were in, because nobody...and I mean nobody should be walking those streets that doesn't belong there.
the store on the corner..."walking distance"

 We make our way to the street, and it's a nice street, as one could expect from what they just drove through. We pull up to the house, and it's a cute Shotgun home, and very nice curb appeal. Definitely stuck out as far as I was seeing...cute, quaint, and very well kept. Our friends are already there, and greet us outside....REUNION hugs and laughter...and a quick glance around the 'hood...and a scurry into the house. SAFETY.
Inside was beautiful, well decorated, and felt like home. Just don't go out the front door...LOL.

I walk into the backyard and hear this God awful sound, I think it's a serenity CD, tranquil sounds...I didn't find it serene or tranquil, and say oh that needs to get turned OFF...my bad, lol...that would be Cicadas.....I looked that up to spell it right, because I still can't pronounce it right. Seriously, people hear that racket nonstop, day in day out...on a regular basis? I couldn't...I just couldn't. Oh my head is ringing just writing about them I'm hearing them....loud...soften...louder....soft...loud...just nonstop.
Then I found out what the CODE was...as I posted to facebook to do my first check-in...
what should pop up.....
THE 9TH WARD and lower 9th ward cut throat something or other are my 2 options.



 Historical=9th Ward

9th Ward is where every Louisiana person we spoke to said...oh even people who live here don't go to the 9th Ward....thanks.....thanks a lot...sigh
our view from the front door, lol




After we got a little settled into the new home, we decided to go get some dinner. 

We are in Louisiana...New Orleans....let's get some good eat's!

Problem is...where do you get dinner in a neighborhood you know you have no business aimlessly navigating. We tried a few places via the phone suggestions, but never stopped at them, one looked like a chop shop, one looked like a drug deal haven..very unsafe, and we weren't really looking for that much culture on day one....so here's how we handled that situation....brilliant if you ask me.
FILTERS...
 it's all about utilizing the filters; rather than just FOOD NEAR ME, we bumped the dollar signs up in the filter menu. We ended up at this amazing Restaurant, that gave us all the GOOD LOUISIANA FOOD we were craving. 
Mandina's is in mid-city New Orleans, it was the best taste of New Orleans one could ask for. I truly was mesmerized by the atmosphere, the friendly staff, and finally feeling that "Louisiana Vibe" I was in need of. The food was spicy, but that was to be expected...but the joke around here is Ketchup is too spicy for me...lol, and so my barbeque shrimp po-boy was wasted. They gave Dave a creamy sauce to go with his crab cake....someone please tell me what that was, I could have eaten that by the gallon. Absolutely mouthwatering yumminess. I also tried my friend's Mashed potatoes......party in the mouth....NO JOKE.
Dave had seafood sampler, Matt is showing his eggplant something or other.
I don't like eggplant, so I didn't take inventory, hahaha


 We then, after a wonderful dining experience, our bellies filled; decided to venture to a walmart....the boys planned on fishing in the morning, and needed bait. That was an experience of a lifetime, one not need to be repeated...EVER (but, sadly I did...lol). It was the largest Walmart I had ever seen or been in, an old brick building....but that is where the "awwwww" ended. Inside, the staff was lacking any type of energy, no smiles, no happy you're here....literally felt like we were the De'Bil (waterboy mama voice) invading their lives. The checker who checked us out....literally was the slowest, most unmotivated, depressing soul I have ever encountered. Yes, It was that bad! I wanted to give her one of my anti-fatigue pills to give her some pep.
 We finally were on our way back to the house...YAY. I was exhausted, we all were. A long day of travel for all 4 of us, and the next day the final 2 would arrive, completing the
 Party of Six.

The Horrible unbearable heat/humidity was coming to an end...I just had to make it from the car to the front door.
                  It sure as heck did end at the front door.....only to open that door and walk into  the  holy heck, straight to the bones and the most unbearable frigid cold I have ever experienced..and I mean..it was a  FREEZING house. (reminder...I can't handle the cold well, not because I am "just" cold....but because it HURTS...it gets into my bones and feels like needles stabbing me continuously ....absolutely painful...I will always take heat over cold, I walk out of  stores or restaurants just to feel that amazing feeling of "thawing out" every time I am in one!

Side note:
 Most people with MS are the opposite, and prefer cold, and can't bear the heat....I happen to be in the other group....and had NO control of the climate outside OR inside. :o(   It became clear quickly...I was going to struggle ...
I understand with that humidity, the a/c must be low to counteract it, but dayummmmmm! I will never forget that cold.....ever.
I grabbed my pants, and extra blanket...and fell asleep with little trouble. My body was tired...cold, lol...but tired.


That was day 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment